Search Engine Optimisation
What is Search Engine Optimisation?
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is the reason why this page exists, as opposed to the default WordPress category page. Posts in this section will include information on the following subject matters:
- Onpage optimisation and improving a pages ability to rank in the search results for keywords or phrases that people are searching for in search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo.
- Offsite optimisation that includes the likes of outreach and guest blogging. On this page, you'll find articles that will be all about outreach and how effective outreach trumps techniques like using a Gmail account to contact bloggers. Or sloppy outreach emails that get big companies penalised by Google.
- Social Media Optimisation (SMO) also plays a factor into search and with Google offering services such as Google Authorship, it only makes sense to use this as a way to improve click-through rates in the search results page.
- Industry news from Google, Yahoo, Bing, Yandex, Naver and other major search engines.
You may not be taking advantage of the full potential that SEO has to offer, which is why this website has been created to advise those on making enhancements to one's own website. Vlexo.NET is based in London, for more information please read the about page.
Latest articles in 'Search'
- Google Increased Width of Organic Search Results
- Search Console Hacked Site Manual Action Review Still NOT Automated
- Best SEO Tools & Resources for 2015
- Tweets from Twitter Showing Up in Google News Results
- Can low quality parts of your site impact other areas of your site?
- Large Google Update on the 16th of June?
- Why has Search Interest in Free Web Hosting Declined Over Time?
- Adding sub-directories to Google Webmaster Tools
- How Aunt Bessie’s Redesign has Ruined Their Search Visibility
- BrightEdge Data Cube Time Machine
- Free SEO tool: Branded Unlinked Mentions Finder
- 6 Big Brands Penalised by Google
- My Take on Google Removing Authorship Photos
- Using the Structured Data Highlighter in Webmaster Tools
- Halifax Bank Google Penalty Lifted (?)
- Google Releases New Panda 4.0 Algorithm Update
- Blogger Outreach is like Online Dating
- Profile views on Google+
- Authorship Rich Snippet Now Working After 3 Months
Does Google consider SEO to be spam?
In this video by Google's head of search spam, Matt Cutts, addresses whether Google considers search engine optimisers equal to those considered to be spammers.
"No, we don't consider SEO to be spam." - Matt Cutts
He differentiates SEOs by saying that there are many "whitehat" SEO methods that include optimising content so that industry jargon isn't used or that optimising a site's page load speed, one of Google's ranking factors, would be what a whitehat SEO would do.
What is SEO by Search Engine Land
This is a 3:30 minute video that explains what SEO is and how it works.
The video explains why many of the ranking factors in Google's algorithm matter. Factors including how keyword relevancy on a page or in a title are important. Or how links are the equivalent to recommendations when one site links to another.
What I also like about this video is that it explains why keywords contained within a link (otherwise known as anchor text) is a description of the site that is being linked to, which is something that Google takes into account when ranking a website in the the search results.